Register - Login
Views: 86641281
Main - Memberlist - Active users - Calendar - Wiki - IRC Chat - Online users
Ranks - Rules/FAQ - JCS - Stats - Latest Posts - Color Chart - Smilies
10-24-17 02:35:09 AM

Jul - Entertainment - General Anime Discussion New poll - New thread - New reply
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16Next newer thread | Next older thread
Aerakin
Ye Olde Layout
Level: 93


Posts: 1677/2550
EXP: 7899314
For next: 153496

Since: 07-05-07
From: From the future

Since last post: 3.0 years
Last activity: 51 days

Posted on 01-02-10 07:35:06 AM Link | Quote
Originally posted by Lunamon
Anyone beside me here that is excited for the upcoming gundam00 movie? :3


Yes, I am.

Because I want to see this to the end.
Darkdata
Ruins!? ♥
Level: 98


Posts: 1316/2889
EXP: 9527302
For next: 127051

Since: 07-04-07


Since last post: 72 days
Last activity: 9 days

Posted on 03-02-10 08:39:18 PM Link | Quote
Himiko-Den/Legend of Himiko Give it a watch, so far to me it seems quite good.

Also, it's an older anime so no [trope]ConspicuousCG[/trope].
Joe
Common spammer
🗿
Level: 104


Posts: 1274/3287
EXP: 11518791
For next: 343335

Since: 08-02-07
From: Pororoca

Since last post: 20 days
Last activity: 13 hours

Posted on 03-07-10 03:51:05 AM Link | Quote
Bakemonogatari. Whatever it is that makes a good story, this has it. Lots of it.

There's quite a bit of text that's only visible for a fraction of a second, so if you want to read it you'll need to be ready. (You're not missing too much if you skip it.)

My only problem: the last episode isn't out yet and nobody knows when it will be.

It seems NisiOisiN (the author) also wrote Katanagatari, so I'm going to try watching that as well.
Zushakon
40
Level: 16


Posts: 9/46
EXP: 16416
For next: 3840

Since: 03-26-10
From: Sweden

Since last post: 7.0 years
Last activity: 7.0 years

Posted on 03-26-10 04:24:48 PM Link | Quote
Originally posted by Joe
Bakemonogatari. Whatever it is that makes a good story, this has it. Lots of it.

There's quite a bit of text that's only visible for a fraction of a second, so if you want to read it you'll need to be ready. (You're not missing too much if you skip it.)

My only problem: the last episode isn't out yet and nobody knows when it will be.

It seems NisiOisiN (the author) also wrote Katanagatari, so I'm going to try watching that as well.


Katanagatari has been wonderful so far


And yeah, Bakemonogatari is great. Could've been a bit longer though.
Joe
Common spammer
🗿
Level: 104


Posts: 1290/3287
EXP: 11518791
For next: 343335

Since: 08-02-07
From: Pororoca

Since last post: 20 days
Last activity: 13 hours

Posted on 03-26-10 08:16:54 PM Link | Quote
Originally posted by Zushakon
And yeah, Bakemonogatari is great. Could've been a bit longer though.
It's fifteen episodes long, and we're still waiting for the last episode. I think you might have missed some.
Zushakon
40
Level: 16


Posts: 17/46
EXP: 16416
For next: 3840

Since: 03-26-10
From: Sweden

Since last post: 7.0 years
Last activity: 7.0 years

Posted on 03-26-10 08:55:11 PM Link | Quote
Originally posted by Joe
Originally posted by Zushakon
And yeah, Bakemonogatari is great. Could've been a bit longer though.
It's fifteen episodes long, and we're still waiting for the last episode. I think you might have missed some.


Uhm, nah.. seen the 14 episodes that's out and it kind of saddens me that's it going to be over in just one more episode, plenty of characters with great depth that I wouldn't mind seeing more of tbh.
Joe
Common spammer
🗿
Level: 104


Posts: 1291/3287
EXP: 11518791
For next: 343335

Since: 08-02-07
From: Pororoca

Since last post: 20 days
Last activity: 13 hours

Posted on 03-26-10 09:41:51 PM Link | Quote
There are several more stories written, although there's no guarantee they will have animated adaptations.
Zushakon
40
Level: 16


Posts: 24/46
EXP: 16416
For next: 3840

Since: 03-26-10
From: Sweden

Since last post: 7.0 years
Last activity: 7.0 years

Posted on 03-27-10 06:09:35 PM Link | Quote
Yeah those are the ones I'm hoping for.. I'm not having very high hopes for them ever being animated though. Which is somewhat of a pity.

On another note a new Darker Than Black OVA was recently released. Great stuff.
Ctenophorae


Level: 80


Posts: 819/1921
EXP: 4648652
For next: 134317

Since: 06-19-09
From: Oregon

Since last post: 3.0 years
Last activity: 97 days

Posted on 03-27-10 06:14:44 PM Link | Quote
I'm finally watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Good stuff.
Zushakon
40
Level: 16


Posts: 25/46
EXP: 16416
For next: 3840

Since: 03-26-10
From: Sweden

Since last post: 7.0 years
Last activity: 7.0 years

Posted on 03-27-10 06:31:40 PM Link | Quote
Whoa, about time :p Tengen Toppa is legendary and a must-see when it comes to anime!
krutomisi
2480
my heart is beating
in a different way

Level: 88


Posts: 258/2480
EXP: 6560231
For next: 90433

Since: 02-01-10


Since last post: 1.0 years
Last activity: 23 days

Posted on 03-28-10 10:39:15 AM Link | Quote
Originally posted by Nelrith
I'm finally watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH !!!


I watched it subbed, and the realized it was in English on Hulu.

< curse you internets!
Darkdata
Ruins!? ♥
Level: 98


Posts: 1398/2889
EXP: 9527302
For next: 127051

Since: 07-04-07


Since last post: 72 days
Last activity: 9 days

Posted on 03-30-10 08:59:51 PM Link | Quote


Baka-To-Test

Excel Saga on tranquilizers.

Calm but Insane, with a lot of game references.

You can watch it free here from funimation (sub)
Ctenophorae


Level: 80


Posts: 829/1921
EXP: 4648652
For next: 134317

Since: 06-19-09
From: Oregon

Since last post: 3.0 years
Last activity: 97 days

Posted on 03-31-10 01:17:28 AM Link | Quote
Originally posted by Zushakon
Whoa, about time :p Tengen Toppa is legendary and a must-see when it comes to anime!

I now know that, I don't know why I've been putting it off! Definitely one of my all-time favorites, it's amazing!
Zushakon
40
Level: 16


Posts: 41/46
EXP: 16416
For next: 3840

Since: 03-26-10
From: Sweden

Since last post: 7.0 years
Last activity: 7.0 years

Posted on 03-31-10 10:40:22 AM Link | Quote
Originally posted by krutomisi
Originally posted by Nelrith
I'm finally watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH !!!


I watched it subbed, and the realized it was in English on Hulu.

< curse you internets!



You prefer English dubs over English subs? Me myself can't stand English dubbed anime... :s


Originally posted by Ork Warboss of Crabbydeff
Originally posted by Zushakon
Whoa, about time :p Tengen Toppa is legendary and a must-see when it comes to anime!

I now know that, I don't know why I've been putting it off! Definitely one of my all-time favorites, it's amazing!


Indeed it is
krutomisi
2480
my heart is beating
in a different way

Level: 88


Posts: 290/2480
EXP: 6560231
For next: 90433

Since: 02-01-10


Since last post: 1.0 years
Last activity: 23 days

Posted on 03-31-10 04:05:31 PM Link | Quote
Originally posted by Zushakon
You prefer English dubs over English subs? Me myself can't stand English dubbed anime... :s


I have a habit of reading the subtitles and not watching the show.
Zushakon
40
Level: 16


Posts: 44/46
EXP: 16416
For next: 3840

Since: 03-26-10
From: Sweden

Since last post: 7.0 years
Last activity: 7.0 years

Posted on 04-12-10 08:59:06 AM Link | Quote
One of this years new series, Kissxsis has been pretty awesome so far Me and Girly just watched the second ep in school.. mildly inappropriate in a lot of ways =)
Dan Hibiki
1190
Talks mostly in pictures.

"I dislike the art of fighting, but I want to be the king of fighters!"
Level: 67


Posts: 1151/1191
EXP: 2516018
For next: 76854

Since: 07-22-07


Since last post: 7.0 years
Last activity: 7.0 years

Posted on 06-13-10 03:18:53 AM (last edited by The Accidental Protege at 06-13-10 09:16 PM) Link | Quote
Anyone who doesn't like Kaiji or Akagi is a humongous faggot and should kill themselves. Just saying.

Kaiji
Down on his luck bum gets wrangled into a life or death gambling scenario.

Akagi
Young mahjong protege psychologically torments opponents in the game. Eh gets man gan hands and doesn't afraid of anything.

Fucking watch them, I just... Fucking watch them.
Q
Seeker of the tru7h
Level: 96


Posts: 1419/2775
EXP: 8934056
For next: 54730

Since: 08-02-07
From: Nowhere

Since last post: 5 days
Last activity: 1 hour

Posted on 06-21-10 12:51:57 PM Link | Quote
So, I decided to look into Kaiji due to TAP's suggestion, and I have to say, it's really good.

First of all, the art style is quite striking, especially considering how subtle the differences typically are between anime. It feels almost refreshing to see such a distinctive style used in a serious anime for this first time in recent memory.

Second of all, the show does a surprisingly good job at invoking the same emotions in the viewer that the protagonist is feeling, which is something I can't even identify in another show off the top of my head. When Kaiji gets angry, the viewer feels angry. When Kaiji feels the suspense, the viewer feel the suspense. It's certainly different, but I think it works well.

Finally, the games in this show and the strategies the characters come up with are very well thought out. Usually in shows like these, I can think up more effective strategies and/or point out logic errors while watching it for the first time, despite that the characters typically have much more time to think and that they're often supposed to be ridiculously intelligent. In this case, however, I haven't been able to do either (so far), and the strategies they came up with caught me off guard more often then usual as well.


In short, even if you don't think you'd like this, I would still highly recommend this.
Dan Hibiki
1190
Talks mostly in pictures.

"I dislike the art of fighting, but I want to be the king of fighters!"
Level: 67


Posts: 1163/1191
EXP: 2516018
For next: 76854

Since: 07-22-07


Since last post: 7.0 years
Last activity: 7.0 years

Posted on 06-22-10 04:11:18 AM Link | Quote
Originally posted by The Red Snifit
So, I decided to look into Kaiji due to TAP's suggestion, and I have to say, it's really good.

First of all, the art style is quite striking, especially considering how subtle the differences typically are between anime. It feels almost refreshing to see such a distinctive style used in a serious anime for this first time in recent memory.

Second of all, the show does a surprisingly good job at invoking the same emotions in the viewer that the protagonist is feeling, which is something I can't even identify in another show off the top of my head. When Kaiji gets angry, the viewer feels angry. When Kaiji feels the suspense, the viewer feel the suspense. It's certainly different, but I think it works well.

Finally, the games in this show and the strategies the characters come up with are very well thought out. Usually in shows like these, I can think up more effective strategies and/or point out logic errors while watching it for the first time, despite that the characters typically have much more time to think and that they're often supposed to be ridiculously intelligent. In this case, however, I haven't been able to do either (so far), and the strategies they came up with caught me off guard more often then usual as well.


In short, even if you don't think you'd like this, I would still highly recommend this.
Young man, you have made my night.

How far into it are you?
Girlydragon
2910
Possibly neither Girly nor Dragon.
Level: 98


Posts: 1266/2913
EXP: 9624926
For next: 29427

Since: 07-21-07
From: Sweden

Since last post: 48 days
Last activity: 18 hours

Posted on 06-23-10 08:40:21 AM Link | Quote
TRS: Just wait until you see Akagi too.

I'd dare say that it's far better than Kaiji, and that says a lot.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16Next newer thread | Next older thread
Jul - Entertainment - General Anime Discussion New poll - New thread - New reply




Rusted Logic

Acmlmboard - commit 2f1bc75 [2017-08-27]
©2000-2017 Acmlm, Xkeeper, Inuyasha, et al.

27 database queries, 3 query cache hits.
Query execution time: 0.141347 seconds
Script execution time: 0.016729 seconds
Total render time: 0.158076 seconds