Register - Login
Views: 91518720
Main - Memberlist - Active users - Calendar - Wiki - IRC Chat - Online users
Ranks - Rules/FAQ - Stats - Latest Posts - Color Chart - Smilies
05-28-18 02:32:02 AM

Jul - SM64 Hacking (Archive) - Super Mario Star Road RELEASE! (Download avaliable) New poll - New thread - New reply
Pages: 1 2 3 4Next newer thread | Next older thread
Me-me
340
Level: 39


Posts: 335/341
EXP: 395696
For next: 9075

Since: 08-05-07


Since last post: 5.0 years
Last activity: 4.0 years

Posted on 07-14-12 04:44:09 PM Link | Quote
Finally decided to play this hack, and it's truly amazing! (But I guess you've heard that quite a lot, eh?)

...and because it's so good, and I've repedetaly failed to create levels myself...

I WANT U TO MEIK MEH MA LEVELZ (Jk)
I was wondering how you've escaped the "texture coordinate out of range error" (assuming you're using sketchup of course.)
It's a recurring problem for me, and the main reason I've failed so many times.

What trick did you use, if I may ask?

By the way, Mad Musical Mess' soundtrack really made my day (Rayman )
Celux

Red Cheep-cheep
Level: 31


Posts: 148/202
EXP: 170699
For next: 14664

Since: 09-21-08


Since last post: 3.0 years
Last activity: 54 days

Posted on 07-14-12 08:46:16 PM Link | Quote
Originally posted by Me-me
Finally decided to play this hack, and it's truly amazing! (But I guess you've heard that quite a lot, eh?)

...and because it's so good, and I've repedetaly failed to create levels myself...

I WANT U TO MEIK MEH MA LEVELZ (Jk)
I was wondering how you've escaped the "texture coordinate out of range error" (assuming you're using sketchup of course.)
It's a recurring problem for me, and the main reason I've failed so many times.

What trick did you use, if I may ask?

By the way, Mad Musical Mess' soundtrack really made my day (Rayman )


There are multiple ways. You can create a duplicate texture with a larger scale, create the model near 0,0 on the axis then turn it into a group and move it, or reposition the texture.
Me-me
340
Level: 39


Posts: 336/341
EXP: 395696
For next: 9075

Since: 08-05-07


Since last post: 5.0 years
Last activity: 4.0 years

Posted on 07-15-12 04:40:08 AM Link | Quote
Thank you, Celux.
Finally, my model isn't as messy-looking as it was before.

But while I'm at it:

This hill is so ugly! I would like the texture to "wrap" around the hill instead like in your hack.
Could you perhaps share your knowledge?

Sorry for bugging you about this, I wont ask for any more help here.
Eggs6131
Member
Level: 20


Posts: 62/82
EXP: 36872
For next: 5567

Since: 08-27-11

From: United Kingdom

Since last post: 4.0 years
Last activity: 3.0 years

Posted on 07-15-12 04:49:58 AM (last edited by Eggs6131 at 07-15-12 04:51:41 AM) Link | Quote
@Me-Me

If you're using sketchup, move the textures (right-click, point to Texture, click Position, then drag it round until you get it right).


AND about the "texture coordinates out of range" error, just subdivide the face (textures cannot repeat themselves more than 32 times on a single face).
Me-me
340
Level: 39


Posts: 337/341
EXP: 395696
For next: 9075

Since: 08-05-07


Since last post: 5.0 years
Last activity: 4.0 years

Posted on 07-15-12 05:20:58 AM (last edited by Me-me at 07-15-12 05:44:26 AM) Link | Quote
Well, I know that messiaen's obj importer prompts you to subdivide when the error appears, but since my model is quite complex, and the messy part is not a plain square area, I thought Celux had a better alternative to this.

And, again, because my model is so complex, it will take forever to position the texture in relation to all other triangles.

I appreciate the help though

EDIT: The problem has been solved and closed. Please do not reply to this comment.
Celux

Red Cheep-cheep
Level: 31


Posts: 151/202
EXP: 170699
For next: 14664

Since: 09-21-08


Since last post: 3.0 years
Last activity: 54 days

Posted on 07-19-12 02:01:59 AM Link | Quote
Originally posted by Me-me
Thank you, Celux.
Finally, my model isn't as messy-looking as it was before.

But while I'm at it:

This hill is so ugly! I would like the texture to "wrap" around the hill instead like in your hack.
Could you perhaps share your knowledge?

Sorry for bugging you about this, I wont ask for any more help here.


You will need to use projected textures, look on YouTube for a tutorial on this.
Casis777
User
Level: 10


Posts: 17/19
EXP: 4075
For next: 339

Since: 10-10-11


Since last post: 4.0 years
Last activity: 4.0 years

Posted on 08-24-12 11:59:26 AM Link | Quote
I'm curious, were all the coding hacks made in ASM or did you have mips64-gcc setup for C hacks? The reason why I ask is because there were quite a few hacks that would have taken a long time to write in ASM (due to having to keep an eye on what register contains what) that writing in C would have been in your best interests.
Akorax
Random nobody
Level: 3


Posts: 1/2
EXP: 126
For next: 2

Since: 11-26-12


Since last post: 5.0 years
Last activity: 4.0 years

Posted on 11-30-12 11:08:38 AM (last edited by Akorax at 11-30-12 12:42:02 PM) Link | Quote
I did my best to bring this to the Wii for making it more available and also to get the classic feeling of playing it on a console.

This is how far I got:
- I deleted padding and brought it down to about 41MB in size. (Have not tried emulating it after that)
- I tried to inject this into Majora's Mask since it is to my knowledge the only WAD-file out there which should use 8MB of memory like this mod/ROM does.
- The hex of the prepatched version is 50.331.648 lines of hex (fifty million)
- The injection requires it to be at max 28,444,267 lines of hex.(56,5% of the original)

(Also there is no guarantee that a injection will work even if the size is cut down, sadly.)

I'm not sure if there is any values other then the empty ones that can be deleted to reduce size and I'm not even sure about the empty ones either since the might have to stay at certain points for memory addresses to work correctly.

Any info or help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Used a older method for compression and managed to get as far as to the spinning N64 logo before the game froze.
Celux

Red Cheep-cheep
Level: 31


Posts: 165/202
EXP: 170699
For next: 14664

Since: 09-21-08


Since last post: 3.0 years
Last activity: 54 days

Posted on 11-30-12 07:37:58 PM Link | Quote
Originally posted by Akorax
I did my best to bring this to the Wii for making it more available and also to get the classic feeling of playing it on a console.

This is how far I got:
- I deleted padding and brought it down to about 41MB in size. (Have not tried emulating it after that)
- I tried to inject this into Majora's Mask since it is to my knowledge the only WAD-file out there which should use 8MB of memory like this mod/ROM does.
- The hex of the prepatched version is 50.331.648 lines of hex (fifty million)
- The injection requires it to be at max 28,444,267 lines of hex.(56,5% of the original)

(Also there is no guarantee that a injection will work even if the size is cut down, sadly.)

I'm not sure if there is any values other then the empty ones that can be deleted to reduce size and I'm not even sure about the empty ones either since the might have to stay at certain points for memory addresses to work correctly.

Any info or help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Used a older method for compression and managed to get as far as to the spinning N64 logo before the game froze.


I've already tried manually extending a Sin & Punishment wad so the whole rom would fit it, but no success because of the 8mb patch. I would have expected it to work considering that Sin & Punishment uses 8mb anyway, so frauber must have done something pretty funky.
Akorax
Random nobody
Level: 3


Posts: 2/2
EXP: 126
For next: 2

Since: 11-26-12


Since last post: 5.0 years
Last activity: 4.0 years

Posted on 12-01-12 09:50:15 AM (last edited by Akorax at 12-01-12 01:05:19 PM) Link | Quote
Originally posted by Celux
I've already tried manually extending a Sin & Punishment wad so the whole rom would fit it, but no success because of the 8mb patch. I would have expected it to work considering that Sin & Punishment uses 8mb anyway, so frauber must have done something pretty funky.


Ive tried a few games now (manual method):
- Sin&Punishment PAL: Just load the normal game instead (injection failed)
- Mario Golf NTSC-U: Freeze at the "Classic Controller" screen
- Super Mario 64: Just load the normal game instead (injection failed)
- Majora's Mask PAL: Freeze at the "spinning N" screen (which shouldn't even be there if it worked correctly)
The games were made region free before injection.

Regarding the autoinject:
- Sin and punishment PAL: Wants ROM-size to be max 33,5 MB.
- Majora's Mask PAL: Wants ROM-size to be max 28,5 MB

How much padding is possible to delete without harming the game?

EDIT: Deleted ALOT of padding in the ROM to make it go into autoinject. Tried with Sin & Punishment and it froze at the "Classic controller"-screen.
EDIT2: Tried with OoT. Froze at "Classic Controller"-screen. Guess I'm stuck and stalled. Better get my hopes up for a future emulator in Wii U or similiar I suppose.
blainicus
Random nobody
Level: 2


Posts: 1/1
EXP: 43
For next: 3

Since: 04-13-13


Since last post: 5.0 years
Last activity: 5.0 years

Posted on 04-13-13 10:01:44 PM Link | Quote
I'm on Project64 1.6.

I'm unable to complete course 11 "Tuxie Race Down the Slide". The penguin slides off the left side of the slide and disappears into the sky, never to be seen again or give my star at the end of the slide.
Pages: 1 2 3 4Next newer thread | Next older thread
Jul - SM64 Hacking (Archive) - Super Mario Star Road RELEASE! (Download avaliable) New poll - New thread - New reply




Rusted Logic

Acmlmboard - commit 5d36857 [2018-03-03]
©2000-2018 Acmlm, Xkeeper, Inuyasha, et al.

30 database queries, 3 query cache hits.
Query execution time: 0.168394 seconds
Script execution time: 0.019356 seconds
Total render time: 0.187750 seconds
Memory used: 786432